When navigating our health journey through perimenopause, it's important we focus on nutritional foods that not only satisfy our taste buds and also nurture our body's shifting demands. With Shrove Tuesday just around the corner, we're taking the chance to spruce up the beloved pancake with a wholesome twist - so pause your pancake flips – these aren't your run-of-the-mill pancakes. These are pancakes that not only taste great but also help to fortify your gut health. And why is that important? Because a content gut leads to harmonised hormones, an uplifted mood, and an enhancement in overall health, particularly throughout perimenopause. So, grab your frying pans – let's start flipping some truly health-boosting pancakes!
The Pancake Mix:
Our pancake recipe is designed to be gut-friendly, using ingredients that are easy to digest, high in fibre, and full of nutrients to support hormonal health during perimenopause.
- 1 cup (about 120g) of whole wheat, buckwheat or oat flour (for fibre)
- 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds (for Omega-3s)
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon (for blood sugar control)
- A pinch of salt
- 1 egg or a flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water, let sit for 15 minutes) for binding and additional Omega-3s
- 1 cup (about 240ml) of almond milk or any plant-based milk (for calcium and a dairy-free option)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil or melted coconut oil (for healthy fats)
- Optional: A splash of vanilla extract for flavour
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined; let the batter sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and scoop 1/4 cup (about 60ml) of batter for each pancake. Cook until bubbles form on the surface, then flip and cook until golden brown.
To complement our pancakes, here are four gut-healthy toppings that are not only delicious but also offer benefits to support women in perimenopause.
- Greek Yogurt and Berries:
- Top your pancakes with a dollop of kefir or Greek yogurt for probiotics, which are beneficial for gut health and calcium for bone health. Add a handful of mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries) for antioxidants and fibre.
- Nut and Seed Butter with Sliced Banana:
- Spread almond, peanut, or cashew butter for healthy fats and protein, sprinkle with chia or hemp seeds for additional Omega-3s and fibre, and add banana slices for potassium and prebiotic fibre.
- Sautéed Apples with Cinnamon and Walnuts:
- Sauté apple slices in a bit of coconut oil until tender, sprinkle with cinnamon for blood sugar regulation, and add walnuts for brain-boosting Omega-3s and antioxidants.
- Avocado and Spinach:
- For a savoury option, top your pancake with mashed avocado, rich in monounsaturated fats for heart health, and a handful of spinach for iron and fibre. A sprinkle of hemp seeds adds protein and Omega-3s.
Incorporating these nutrient-rich pancakes into your diet can be a delicious way to support your health during perimenopause. Not only do they offer the comfort of a beloved breakfast dish, but they also provide essential nutrients that support gut health, hormonal balance, and overall well being.
Enjoy this tasty journey to wellness and have a great Pancake Day!